DepartmentHepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery
ZHENG Shusen, M.D., Ph.D.
Prof. Zheng performed first liver transplantation in Hangzhou in 1993, setting off a new upsurge of liver transplantation in China. Up till now, he has completed 3600 cases of liver transplantation. He established the Hangzhou Criteria for HCC selection in liver transplantation and the strategy of for prevention and management of HBV recurrence after liver transplantation. In 2001, Prof. Zheng successfully performed the first adult living donor liver transplantation with right lobe in the mainland China. In 2007, Prof. Zheng performed living donor liver transplantation for a 106-day old baby. Prof. Zheng performed the combined pancreas-kidney transplantation in 1994 and the combined liver-kidney transplantation in 1999, and 2 recipients holds the longest post combined pancreas-kidney transplantation survival record in Asia (18 years) and the longest post combined liver-kidney transplantation survival record in the mainland of China (18 years).
- Organ transplantation, multi-organ transplantation, especially in liver transplantation;
- Hepatobiliary and pancreatic surgery;
- Minimally invasive surgery;
- Transplant immunology;
- Basic research in Hepato-pancreato-biliary cancer;
- Translational medicine.
Activities and Honors:
Prof. Zheng stands as the chief specialist in the first and unique National Basic Research Program (973 Program) in organ transplantation field named “Basic research of immunological mechanisms of chronic graft dysfunction”. He has published more than 400 articles in international journals. Prof. Zheng is the Editor-in-Chief of several monograph such as Liver Transplantation, Pancreas Transplantation, Management in Peri-operative Period of Liver Transplantation, etc. He is the Chief Editor of the journal "Hepatobiliary & Pancreatic Diseases International (HBPD INT)" (SCI indexed) which is the first English professional journal in the field of hepatobiliary and pancreatic disease in China. As the leading person of the second wave of liver transplantation in China, From 2010 to 2011, the Prof. Zheng and his team travelled across the ocean to Indonesia twice, and create a new chapter in the liver transplantation in Indonesia, performed living donor liver transplantations for southeastern Asian patients. Prof. Zheng also established a series of international collaboration (with Cleveland Clinic, UCLA, Stanford University, et al.), which achieved the international approval for the liver transplantation in China and accelerated the fusion of Chinese organ transplantation to the international family. Prof. Zheng was awarded the honorary academician of surgery of Hong Kong in 2012, and he’s also the first Chinese honorary professor of UCLA in the field of medicine. In 2015, his team won the National Prize for Progress in Science and Technology of Innovation team.
- Academician, Chinese Academy of Engineering;
- Foreign Academician, Division of Surgery and Surgical Specialties, National Academy of Medicine of France;
- Director, Key Laboratory of Multi-Organ Transplantation, Ministry of Public Health;
- Vice-President, Chinese Medical Doctor Association
- President, Chinese Transplant Doctor Association
- Vice-president, Chinese Medical Association
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons (FACS);
- Member, Membership Committee of International Liver Transplantation Society;
- Member, International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Society;
- Chairman, Committee of Surgery branch of Zhejiang Province;
- Chairman, Committee of Organ Transplantation branch of Zhejiang Province;
- Director, Institute of Organ Transplantation, Zhejiang University